Monday, October 10

The True Cost Documentary

"Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

Sometimes, it hurts so bad to watch these films, because I know that I am the one to blame. Yes, corporations prey on insecurities, but I am the one consuming their goods and services. It's that simple. This documentary about the fashion industry is so painful to watch, because I know that we're all a part of this.

I've tried to stop. I'm working on one addiction at a time, and now it's time to tackle fashion. We're told that we are what we wear, and that our clothing tells our story. It wasn't always like that, but now it's a learned behavior. We consume things to feel better, and deep down that's what it's all about.

Many spiritual teachers will express that feeling good truly comes from within, and that the only way to change is by altering our beliefs and habits. So that's what I'm doing; I'm changing. I've been a minimalist for quite some time now, but it's time to do a lot better. Watching this film has opened my eyes, and I do not see things the same way anymore.

It's very sad, and this is real. Our planet is being destroyed, and we're losing our humanity. For what: A false sense of self and monetary gain? So I invite you to watch this movie as well, spread the word, and perhaps together we can make a difference.


Here's what I'm working on:

1. Be happy with less. Most of my favorite characters just have one or two signature outfits. Captain Jack Sparrow is the perfect example of this: He wouldn't be the same without his costume. I'm inspired by them, and want a minimalist wardrobe with a few favorite options. How exciting!

2. Treasure vintage pieces. I've inherited many lovely garments from my mother and even my grandmothers. Not only are these items made exceptionally well, they're also extremely chic. I'm grateful for them, and it makes being eco friendly effortless. 

3. Shop thrift. This is a brilliant way to refresh one's wardrobe, or replace worn out clothing all while reducing consumption of new resources. Besides, I have so many fond memories of thrifting with family. It's so much fun to make a day of it when needed.

4. Buy natural, organic, fair trade, or recycled items. I'm trying to only buy goods that are sustainable and natural. Not only is this better for the planet, but it's a healthier option for everyone involved.

5. Go naked. These days I spend a lot of time wearing as little as possible when I'm alone. This works out great because my skin gets to breathe, and it also prevents clothing from being worn out. Why wear much at all if no one is around? Right!

Watch the trailer here:
Happy movie watching.
~Claudia

3 comments:

  1. Hey Claudia its me Bobby Cotton, I asked you about Art school on youtube yrs ago haha, How can I build reputation as an artist I feel like I'm at a point where I can start doing work, How do I put myself out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://krunchymoist.deviantart.com/art/Remake-2016-640231463?ga_submit_new=10%253A1476543196

      Delete
    2. Hi Bobby! It's good to hear from you. Of course I remember. :)

      Well, I would start by getting an online portfolio up. When I started in the industry, I had a site to show people. DA even has a free portfolio option, that I've seen industry people use. Personally, I have my own domain.

      So something similar to this would be great to have:
      http://claudiasutton.com/gallery.html

      Then, I used GameDevMap.com to see what game companies were in my area. Just click on a city, and it will list company sites:
      http://gamedevmap.com/

      It was very helpful, and I used it to look up companies that I wanted to work for. Each site will have a job section and a list of openings. This is only for video games though, not TV or film.

      Essentially, one needs to be able to produce work that is similar to a company's style and be an awesome person to work with. Ultimately, only consider companies that are similar to the work that you want to put out there into the world. Know who you are, and pick companies that you would have fun with. Hours are long, and you must love it!

      I wish you the very best.
      ~Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle