Wednesday, January 29

3 Big Reasons to Get a Juicer

Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer - $269.00 - Purchased from Amazon 

Oh my! I can't believe I waited this long to get a juicer. It's an absolute must-have for any kitchen, and I'm in love with mine. After spending time with my sister Carin, I came to realize that a juicer is vitally important for optimal health. I have had this one picked out for a long time, not only because of its sleek black and chrome horizontal design, but mainly because of the raving reviews from the raw-food community.

It seems like this juicer can juice anything, including greens, which is great. It's slower than most juicers, but that doesn't bother me because I know that I'm getting more out of the juice. Unfortunately, all juicers are not created equally and there are different types. Mine is a masticating juicer that uses an auger to crush food into smaller pieces before squeezing out the juice while extracting the pulp through a separate channel. Masticating juicers are better than centrifugal juicers at extracting nutrients from plants, but not as good as a grinder/hydraulic press juicer. Those things are huge though, weigh a lot, are upwards of $2,000, and take a very long time to clean.

So I went with the Omega J8006 and I couldn't be happier. I've been juicing for about a week now, I've read the manual front to back like suggested, and am really getting the hang of it. The most important thing is to make sure to cut everything up small enough for the tube. I had some jams already, but that was totally my fault for not cutting things correctly. Now everything is good, and all I need to do is come up with some new favorite juice recipes!


Reasons to get a juicer right now:

1. Good health - I've known all along that freshly-made juice is better than buying it dead and pasteurized from the store, especially bottled in plastic. It's best to drink fresh juice right away, because light and air will destroy much of the nutrients after 15 minutes. So it's great to get a super dose of awesome every morning, being that I use a cup and a half of juice as a base in each batch of blended juice. Although, it takes about 30 minutes to make (most of which is cutting produce) and 15 minutes to clean both the juicer and the blender in comparison to the previous 15 minutes to make and 10 minutes to clean up just the blender. A small price really for such a beautiful thing, and I'm willing to put in the extra time. 

2. Save a lot of money - Money truly was the reason that it took me so long to buy a juicer. After doing the math though, I was shocked to find out how much I dropped on juice each week instead of investing in a juicer. I make blended juice every morning for breakfast, and use to buy two to three jugs of juice per week. That was $3.69 - $6.00 for a half gallon of apple (or two for $7.38 - $12.00) and a one quart of carrot for $3.99. This was roughly $7.68 - $15.99 a week, and that total differed depended on if I bought the expensive raw apple cider at the farmer's market. Now with the juicer, it only costs me $6.99 - $8.00 to buy the weekly organic produce for juice making. That's it! $2.49 - $3.50 for apples and other fruit, and $4.50 for the carrots. I can get 7-10 pieces of fruit and 12 carrots for that price, and it saves $35.88 - $415.48 a year. That means the juicer will pay itself off within a few years based on spending, and I will start saving money. That's incredible.

3. Being eco friendly - This is huge! There's no more plastic waste. The wonderful organic produce has no packaging in contrast to buying weekly jugs of juice. Come to find out I was consuming 104-156 plastic jugs of juice a year. That is so not cool. That's the definition of 'not cool'! So now that I don't buy them anymore, I'm so much happier because of it. It's a good thing for everyone, and everything on the planet.

Those are pretty fantastic reasons, huh? How about you? Is it time to buy a juicer? Or perhaps you already have one. Feel free to share tips and tricks as well. I would love to hear from you.

♡ Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle