Wednesday, August 7

How to Make a Custom-Sized Paper Box

 
 I needed it to fit inside my jewelry box so that I could organize small pieces.

Making an origami box is simple, and they're absolutely brilliant for storing small treasures. The problem with most paper box tutorials is that they're normally for a single size. This isn't a problem unless one's particular about the dimensions. I personally needed a small, eco-friendly container for my jewelry, and I didn't want to spend any money, so I decided to come up with my own design for a custom box. I'm glad I did too, because these little boxes are so appealing. They can be made out of all sorts of fun paper, anything from decorative craft paper to junk mail. So let's get started, shall we!


~~Materials Needed~~
Piece of paper cut to the custom dimensions
Scissors
Ruler
Pencil or something to make marks

Start by estimating your measurements, and cut the paper to size. My box specifically
needed to be 2 5/8" L x 1 5/8" W x 1" H. So my paper needed to be 6 5/8" x 5 5/8"
(find this number by multiplying the height by 4 and adding it to both the length and width).

Lightly mark the measurements on the paper. The center square/rectangle
is the base, and the sides are double the final height for the box.

Fold inward along all the marks, and erase any lines that were drawn.

Carefully fold only the corners together until the seam reaches the bottom edge.

Fold up the sides and position the corners along the length of the box.

Lastly, tuck the top half of the sides down into the inside of the box.


There you are! We have a charming paper box that can be used for a variety of different needs. They're perfect for drawers, dressers, closets, and in my case, custom compartments for my jewelry box. Lastly, if you plan on making a big box (perhaps something larger than a foot), consider using thicker materials like card stock, poster board, or Bristol board.

Cheers and happy box making!
~Claudia

10 comments:

  1. I want me one of those!! Must make one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun! Please do. :3
      <3 Claudia

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm, but I don't have any jewelry. Should I use it for my strawberries? LOL. ♥ Oh, I know! I could use it for my memory sticks.

    *Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go! Yeah, I'm not sure that they would survive too long with wet foods. Perhaps something dry though. :)

      Hugs!
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  3. I just need to find some kind of neat paper. Like Star Wars or BatMan. Sweet dreams Claudia. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could uses pages from an old comic/manga that you don't care for anymore or have a duplicate of. :)

      When I was working out the pattern for this, I was using torn out pages from an IKEA magazine. It looked pretty cool, but I specifically wanted my final box to be white because it matches my decor.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  4. You have the best ideas!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! No problem dear. Or if you didn't want to destroy a book, you could scan it and print it. Or print out anything digital for that matter. Wrapping paper would be fun too. :D

      We have all sorts of options!
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love your creative thinking. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! No problem at all. :D
      <3 Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle