Thursday, August 1

Going Silver: A Guide to Rocking Natural Locks

"Nothing is as beautiful as confidence." - Katie Couric

I've always admired white-haired heroines because they look so beautiful and ethereal. Movies and video games have made grey and platinum hair so sexy. Characters like Fran, Daenerys, Lady Amalthea, and Storm are some of my personal favorites. So now it's time for me to join the club and rock silver locks!

I've been dyeing my hair since I was very young, and lately I've been reflecting as to why. Ask any person that dyes their hair "Why?", and one might get a variety of different reasons. Sadly, it all boils down to not loving oneself for who we are naturally. I'm very much guilty of this as well. Early on in life we might hear or absorb information about hair color and take it to heart without realizing. Some colors are better looking than others, vivid colors are cooler, this color is youthful, this color is trendy, and so forth. Then that sticks, and we have a new standard of beauty. We think that people will love us more for it, and that we'll love ourselves more as well. That's not the case though. Most of the time, hair dye is a mask, and most of us are just afraid of being our natural selves. We're afraid of being unattractive, judged, put down, or unloved. So instead, we'll spend hundreds of dollars, waste countless hours, pollute the environment, and expose ourselves to some of the worst chemicals on the market just to feel accepted.

It all started for me back in high school. Everyone was the same. We all wore cookie-cutter American fashion, had fake tans, and bleached hair. If you were cool, this was you. So I traded my over-sized t-shirts for trendy surf wear, started going to a tanning salon, and had my hair highlighted. This was the beginning of it all, and it was awful. Most teens go through a similar period, either that, or they totally rebel. If kids weren't going blonde, they most certainly were dyeing their hair black and other neon colors. Hair dye is a form of expression, that I get, but at what cost? This all matters of course. Everyone is different. Self is expression is beautiful and so important, but chemicals are not the best option. As long as one loves what they do, and who they are, that's all that matters in the end. Be who you want to be, not what you think others want from you. If one does that then all is well. Again, all of this comes down to love. Someone will notice me, think I'm cool, or beautiful. Perhaps I'll even think I'm cool or beautiful.

So the years past, and slowly I started to establish my own signature fashion sense. I even grew to love my alabaster skin and stopped tanning for good. The hair dye however, was an addiction I wasn't ready to give up. I've dyed my hair practically every color within a somewhat natural range, all because someone said, "Oh that color's the best; it looks great on you." Typically it would be the men in my life, and it made me feel better but deep down I was losing my identity. It felt fake.

Then there's the time, money, and chemicals. I don't even want to think about it. It's ideal to dye hair once or twice a month depending on the color, and it sure adds up fast. It would take at least two hours or more each time, and cost anywhere from $5-$350 per session depending if I did it myself or went in to see a hair stylist. Not only that, but most dyes test on animals, are terrible for the environment, and have harsh chemicals that cause brain damage, cancer, allergies, repository issues, skin problems, infertility, etc. You name it, and it's a problem. I remember when I dyed my hair for the first time after my long water fast. My body was so clean, efficient, glowing, and I was on cloud nine... until I dyed my hair again. I was poisoning myself once more, and I keeled over on the floor struggling to get through it. I could feel the harsh chemicals entering my bloodstream and coursing through my veins. It was frightening, I really "felt" it for the first time, and that's what made me wake up. What was I doing to my body that I thought I loved so much? Did I have a healthy respect for myself? The answer was no, not if I could continue doing this.

That was it. I decided right then and there that I was going to stop dyeing my hair. I had a secret though. My hair wasn't all brown anymore, it was partially silver. I had been prematurely greying since high school because I had chosen to let stress into my life, and this was exacerbated even more so because of the poor lifestyle choices throughout my journey. My new hair color didn't concern me though. I love silver hair! It's eye catching, whimsical, chic, artsy, and very high fashion. It's all about confidence, the right mindset, and surrounding yourself with people that love the real you. So let's take it to the next level, shall we.
 
Five steps to getting back beautiful natural hair:
 
Step 1. Choose a date and make it special. This not only will make the experience meaningful, but it will prepare the mind and body for a drastic change. I chose my birthday in September, because that's special to me and I'm so excited about it.

Step 2. Dye hair as close to your natural color as possible. I'm personally skipping this step, because I'm going cold turkey, but switching over to a hair dye that's closest to your natural color will help. Consider using natural products like henna instead of chemical dye.

Step 3. Cut it off. The more dyed hair that's cut off the quicker it will be to grow back naturally. I'm going for a super short pixie cut and it's going to be so cute. I've never had one before, and I'm ecstatic. Then after that, it's easy to grow it back long and fabulous again if desired. 

Step 4. Wear colors that flatter your new hair color. Depending on your natural color, you might need to adjust your makeup and wardrobe a bit. Have fun experimenting with bright hues, but one can't go wrong with monochromatic looks like black, white, and grey.

Step 5. Love yourself unconditional. Let your light shine and own it. It's who you are, and others will admire and respect you for that. It's time to create a new trend, and that's being true to oneself.

We all make a difference culturally, it's quite classy to be natural, and only you know 
what's best for you. If you need any advice, just let me know, I'm here to help.
♡ Claudia

10 comments:

  1. Very nice article Claudia. Good luck with your transition. Can't wait to see your new haircut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. <3 I'm excited, and I'll definitely share a photo.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  2. Grey hair started showing up in my early 20's, but it's slowed down now. I like seeing little streaks of grey/silver in my hair, it's pretty cool. It's mostly in the front so depending on how I style my hair you may or may not notice it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Yeah, I'm sure it looks awesome. I've always liked that too. :)
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    2. I was hoping to have more grey hair by the time I hit 30, but it didn't happen, lol. All in due time :)

      Delete
    3. Haha! Aww, I love how we're both hoping for more silver hair. XD Indeed it will.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    4. I just thought of this, but part of my reasons for wanting more silver is so that I'll look closer to my age. I do like looking younger than I am, and it is a blessing, however.... when a 20 year old calls you "kid" in an arrogant way, when you're 10 years older than him, it just spoils the mood.

      I don't know, but I do know that I've always thought silver hair was cool as well :)

      Delete
    5. Oh really? Yeah, I can understand that. That's a reflection of that person though. Not you. If they didn't call you "kid", it might be something else just because they're not so awesome to be around.

      Yeah, it's definitely catching on too. We even have models and celebrities embracing it. Like George Clooney, Anderson Cooper, Kristen McMenamy, Kelly Osbourne, and Lady Gaga. They all look fabulous! XD
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  3. Mine is right at the temples. It must be from reading too many Fantastic Four comics. =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really! Cool! Yup, I'm sure that's what it is. Heehee! XD
      ~Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle