Tuesday, July 23

Get Rid of Fruit Flies with this Awesome Trap

It's summertime and that means lots of delicious fruit, but it also means fruit flies. Sometimes this can be a problem, especially if one keeps fruit out in bowls around the kitchen like me.

Now, I don't like killing insects. They're an extremely important part of our ecosystem and I respect that very much. They're living beings, and therefore shouldn't be disregarded. It makes me sad to think that they're mistreated just because they're small and different looking.

Although I respect them, they don't need to be in my home and they belong outside anyway. So I want to share with you how I trap them, and then free them outside.

My awesome homemade fly catcher.

The trap's pretty easy to make. All one has to do is roll up a piece of paper (I'm using junk mail) into a cone with a small opening at the end and tape it together. Then just place the paper in a clear glass jar or cup (I'm using an applesauce jar) that's easy to see through with a little bit of apple cider vinegar and/or a small fruit scrap (I'm using a banana peel this time) at the bottom.

What's great about this is that the flies are attracted to the smell, and crawl through the hole but aren't smart enough to get out. Leave the trap on the counter for a few hours, and it works like magic. Then just let the little guys outside! Be free my darlings, go out into the world and enjoy your lives.

If saving a life isn't enough, it's also a time saver because one doesn't have to karate-kid around all day long catching and swatting flies. That, and cleaning bugs off a white wall isn't cool. So it's a win-win situation. Enjoy the day instead of wasting time murdering insects.

Cheers!
~Claudia

10 comments:

  1. Awesome device Claudia. Too bad insects don't experience the same fate at my home. We have an open war going on. (Except crickets). Bwahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Poor things. :( Try it! It might save you time.
      <3 Claudia

      Delete
  2. Well, I didn't invite them in did I? Heeheeheee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your food did. :3
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    2. *Pure Shock! You are right... Well, I'm protecting my tangerines. They are delicious but not for bugs and such.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I completely agree. :D I'm surprised that you're finding tangerines this time of year.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  3. I only have one left. I saw them and I craved them because they looked so yummy. All bright orangie-red. I had one as soon as I got back home!

    Can I put some pins and needles at the bottom of my trap? So they don't believe I like them. LOL! It will be a medieval fly trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Yes, they're amazing. I look forward to them every winter.
      Aww, poor little things. :( It's in their nature, they just want a tasty treat.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  4. I just want them to tell their friends not to visit my home. You are so Sweet Claudia. I can picture their relief everytime you release them. Heeheeheee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they get the picture. :D Aww! Yup, that's why I let them go.
      ~Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle