Monday, June 24

Strawberries Are The Perfect Summer Treat

They're so delicious, and I ate this right after I took the photo!

 6 pints of freshly-picked strawberries from the farmer's market.

It's the beginning of summer and strawberries are at their best. These little plants are packed with so much awesome that nothing compares. I get six pints of organic berries freshly-picked from Rodriguez Farms every week. Now that's a lot of fruit! So what do I do with all of them?

Well, I eat them raw or I blend them. That's it. I don't make desserts, can, or cook them because that would diminish the nutrients. It's also great to eat the green tops with them for a little extra fiber and protein. That way the sugar isn't as overwhelming and there's a bit more balance.

What's special about going to get your berries from a farm instead of the grocery store is that they're so fresh, and are usually only picked a day or two before selling. That means that they're never white or orange and are brimming with flavor. One can tell because they're the deepest dark red, sometime bordering on purple. That's when they're the best and the most delicious.

Berries, of all kinds, are extremely susceptible to pesticides because of how soft they are, so the chemicals soak right through them. That's why I only recommend organic because of this. Second to that, they're much cheaper at the farmer's market. I'm getting these boxes all for $13 - $16 throughout the season, and the farmers sometimes give me bargains because I'm a returning customer.

The other thing that's so awesome about getting your berries straight from a farm is that the farmers will take back the pint-sized containers for reuse. This is huge for me, and that's great that they can be washed and reused again. Less plastic is always a very good thing.


So last but not least, here's 10 awesome reasons to eat more strawberries this season.

1. Strawberries boost the immune system because of the vitamin C.
2. Strawberries are sodium and fat free.
3. Strawberry seeds have potassium in them.
4. The antioxidants in strawberries help with inflammation.
5. Strawberries are packed with fiber.
6. The vitamin C in strawberries also helps keep skin young.
7. Strawberries help lower cholesterol.
8. Strawberries are low in calories.
9. Strawberries fight tooth decay because they're a source of polyphenols.
 10. Strawberries protect against cancer.


Best,
~Claudia

30 comments:

  1. I wish I can get mine from a farmer's market if I only had one near me. I bet if I get them at a grocery store, I won't be getting the same nutrients u mentioned huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they'll be good. Just pick out nice red ones! :D
      <3 Claudia

      Delete
  2. Even if they're packaged in plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, any strawberries would be better than none. Did you have any snacks/food packaged in plastic today? If so, perhaps replace them with some strawberries. It's a step in the right direction. :)

      Also, if you need help finding farmer's markets in your area, here's a helpful link: http://www.localharvest.org/
      Just type in your city and search for farmer's markets.

      ~Claudia

      Delete
    2. Ok thanks and yes I had some in plastic sadly.

      Delete
    3. Well that's good. :) A step in the right direction.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    4. Thanks and plus I went to the farmer's market using the site u gave me and luckily I found one in my town but there were no strawberries sadly so instead I chose rain cherries and broccoli to keep me satisfied.

      Delete
    5. Oh wow! Matthew that's awesome. :D Cherries and broccoli are so good too!
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    6. Ikr!? I'm gonna go to these farmer's markets more often!!

      Delete
    7. Rock it Matt! Again, that's so awesome. You'll save lot of money too.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    8. Indeed I will. How many stuff do they sell in your farmer's market and what do they have?

      Delete
    9. Oh goodness! Everything. I just got back actually. I bought celery, cucumbers, ginger, cantaloupe, strawberries (again, heehee), peaches, nectarines, apricots, donuts peaches, cilantro, lettuce, mushrooms, mint, and lemon. A whole weeks worth. :D
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    10. My farmer's market should have that many stuff!! I just hope I could find one that has all that.

      Delete
    11. Well, I'm sure yours is great too. :) California supplies 80% of the produce in the US though, so I'm not surprised that the markets here would carry a large variety. What does your market sell?
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    12. Well they sell like rain cherries, jams, brocolli, bok choi, chips from the one I recently went to. But the other one I went to near the street I live one, they sold cheeses, meats as well as vegetables.

      Delete
    13. Awesome. Well, that's good that there's a few around. :)
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  3. I have a nice Lady that brings them to me fresh from the fields. She picks them in the morning and sells them. I met her through work, but since I'm not in that office, she brings them to my home for a fraction of the price you may pay anywhere else. They are the sweetest! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's so cool. What an angel. <3 I have a feeling that you'll like my next video then. :P
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to see it. Once again, I love all your blog entries. @_@

      Delete
    3. Aww! <3 Thank you hun. Yeah, I'll be out either tomorrow or Friday depending on how much work I can get done today. :D
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  4. Do take your time. I understand you are busy with work. Just make sure you have plenty of time for yourself and do something fun, ok? I will always be around to see/read them. Thank you Claudia.

    I shared some om my strawberries with you in my vivid imagination at breakfast. LOL. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear! Heehee, well, I can get pretty focused when I'm working. Yeah, I still go outside and play in the evenings. <3

      Haha! Oh my, thank you for the strawberries!
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  5. That is the spirit. Invest your time doing something fun, or just pamper yourself. ☺

    There is plenty more were those came from! You can add them to your cereal. Yuuum. =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I went on a long walk after I was done with the video, and I tried to call my mother but she was out. My August is going to be madness! It's exciting though. I have the entire month planned already. XD

      No cereal for me, but I sure will take them in my morning blended juice. Actually today for breakfast that's what I had: Strawberry, celery, cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, and bee pollen. It was a pretty simple one today. :3
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    2. That is very nice of you Dear Claudia. I'm sure your Mom is very proud of you. Hope you may catch up with her. Don't forget to tell my about your plans for August. Sounds so exciting already! LOL. You are a planner like me. Although I leave little room for spontaneity once in a while.

      Aww, no likee cereal? The nutritous value of your blend sounds pretty good. Just, I'm not a big fan of celery. :P I'll eat it if I have to, but no...

      Delete
    3. I did! Thank you. We talked for like a million hours. It was nice. :)
      Oh, you'll see. Lot's of cool stuff coming. Awesome! Yeah, everything in moderation including planning. XD

      Nope, I haven't had it in years. Ah, I see. That's good though. What do you like to eat for breakfast?
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    4. OMG! I'm missing a few of your responses. Need to catch up... Well, it depends how hungry I am and how much time I have before I start driving to work. If I'm really hungry I warm leftovers. If I'm in a hurry, toast, eggs, cereal or pancakes. Then I have some fruit between breakfast and lunch. :D

      Delete
    5. No worries hun. :) Ah okay. Awesome about the fruit.
      ~Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle