Friday, March 29

How To Do A 24-Hour Water Fast Properly

Water fasting is amazing, but if one has never done it before it could be quite intimidating. Well, I'm here to help and guide you through the entire process. Today I'm going to be water fasting myself, and I'll document everything throughout the day.

If done right, water fasting is a safe and healthy way to heal the body. The results are astonishing! Most people do it for weight loss, which is great, but there's so much more to it than that. Scientists have studied water fasting, and have observed that bodybuilders that fast once a week gain more quality muscle tissue faster. This is because the body is cleaner and more efficient. It's truly capable of healing anything, and only toxins and weak tissue will be expelled.

Sounds wonderful; so how do we get started?  Pick a day that's free of any burdens. No chores, no school, no work, no schedule, and even no exercise. The fast day is truly a time to relax and reflect. Even something as simple as exercising can disrupt it. The expects at True North Health Center recommend to stay calm and at peace throughout the day. So enjoy the time off, and we don't even have to prepare food!

I like to prep for my water fast by eating well the previous day. So my meals consisted of organic blended juice and fresh raw produce. That's pretty much my diet anyway, and that alone is very cleansing. It's a good way to transition to just water for fast day. That means nothing but water for an entire 24 hours. This includes all cosmetics, because these enter the body through the skin and go straight into the bloodstream.

Use the best water that you can find for the fasting. Yes, filtered water is an excellent choice, but if you don't have access to that it's okay. At least boil the water in order to sanitize it a bit, and have plenty ready to go. That, and only drink from glass. No plastic or metal should ever be used.

Here's a great video that shows how to get good water and explains why glass is important:



Also, if you're interested in more, I documented a seven-day fast here:

So that's pretty much it. Drink about 7-10 glasses of water throughout the day. Rest, meditate, read, sit in the sun... The day is yours!

Woke at 6:30am
Got up naturally without the alarm clock, full of energy, and ready to start the day. I went downstairs, opened up all of the currents and got my first glass of water. I started writing this blog shortly after, and got my second helping of water. This time in a tea cup, to help simulate warm tea. No tea, of course, just warm water.

10:00am
Got the beginning of this blog post all wrapped up, and am working on my third glass of water. I'm doing great, and plan on going upstairs to sit in the warm sun for a bit to reflect. Just me and my thoughts. 

1:00pm
So, I've had three more glasses of water. I'm just chilling and catching up on some reading. It feels so good to do whatever I please. No Google Calender for me today! I'm a little hungry, but it's not that noticeable.

3:00pm
I'm having one more cup of warm water and enjoying my book. I'm probably going to finish it today or tomorrow. It's nice to escape for a bit. I've got a really tiny headache, which is one of the side effects of fasting. Releasing toxins no doubt. I find that it gets way easier every time that I fast. The benefits completely outweigh the minor temporary discomfort. 

5:00pm
This is going very smoothly today. The more that I fast, the easier it becomes. Also, I'm probably not detoxing as much because of my clean diet. That's great. So there's a tip: Make water fasting easier by eating more raw foods daily! My headache's gone too, but I'm still hungry. To be expected though. I've also had one more glass of water, so that makes eight now.

8:00pm
Still reading! It's been fun, and I'm surprised by how fast the day has flown by. Now that the sun has gone down, I'm starting to get a little sleepy. I pretty much plan on reading until I go to bed.
 
10:00pm
Tomorrow will be another day of wonderfully tasty juices and fresh produce. So breaking a water fast is pretty straightforward. All one does is refeeds with the proper foods for half of the time as the fast lasted. Only organic homemade juice first, then blended juice with all of the fiber, and then whole raw produce. This can all be done within one day, but I like to space mine out a bit. So just juice tomorrow, then blended juice the next, and then whole raw produce. Then one can return to their usual diet, but of course with healthy choices in mind. So I'm off to bed; good night everyone. I'll talk to you again soon.

♡ Claudia

37 comments:

  1. Hi Claudia, did you do this from 630am until 630am the next day? does that mean it is slightly longer than 24 hours since you started first thing in the morning and hadn't eaten since the night before... I am a bit confused about the timing.. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      Yes, that would be correct. :) It would have been a little longer. You could time yourself from whenever you last ate if you wish. I wanted to do a complete day, so I didn't count my night before. I've done noon to noon fasts as well. Those seem to be pretty easy going, and simple to time.

      <3 Claudia

      Delete
  2. exactly how much weight did you lose from this and should I still workout on the days where im just eating fruits and natural produce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None, it's more about cleansing the body. A longer fast will definitely result in weight loss though. I lost about 5-10 pounds for the seven day fast: http://claudiasutton.blogspot.com/2012/04/ill-be-water-fasting-for-7-days.html

      I don't own a scale though, so for me weight's not important. It's more about feeling great and detoxifying. I do take my measurements though.

      Yeah, you can work out on those days after the fast. Keep it to light stuff though. Like walking and stretching. Nothing vigorous like strength training. Then you can get back on your normal routine. :)

      ~Claudia

      Delete
  3. Hi Claudia, im a bodybuilder/powerlifter and i do 24 Hour Fast weekly. Yesterday i started at 1500 hours and this morning i did a complete workout (heavy lifting) and some cardio 2 hours in total, i will be breaking my fast at 1500 hours today. i feel i got more energy on a fast day than in a 'normal day' and according to studys the HGH is going up during your fast, so for me this is perfect. only thing is i do drink black coffee, and mix some ginger powder in my water twice a day so i don't get any headache at all. if i don't this results in migraine witch messes up my whole day. Thanks for your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Oh wow, you're doing a heavy work out during the fast? I see. That's interesting that you're trying out different things. Doesn't the coffee make you all crazy with the caffeine?
      No problem at all,
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  4. Ya, he's doing something I wouldn't advise for anyone who wants to do a 24 hr fast. As you can see, he stayed anonymous. Be careful who you listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for me personally, a water fast is just that. Water, and nothing more. That, and it's a tranquil time of rest.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  5. Hi Claudia, Really enjoyed reading all your material on fasting. For the last comment, there was a fantastic show on NPR the other day, describing the 5:2 fast, and both doctors on the show agreed that exercising while fasting is not a bad thing at all, and people report having better workouts and more energy. However, not sure if this is true on a strict water fast...

    I have started the 5:2 fast today, but after reading your blog, I think I might move into a water fast...thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Leigh-Ann. Oh you're very welcome hun. I think I've heard of that too. :) It was on a BBC special as well. Isn't it where one severely restricts calorie for two days and then goes back to normal? Yeah, go for either. It's the whole concept of fast and feast, so both are awesome. Just make sure to take the refeed slowly as well.
      <3 Claudia

      Delete
  6. Can I drink coconut water ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have never done a fast or cleanse before...i will like to detoxify my body from all of the "junk" that i've put in for the past 30 years. while ofcourse sheding a few pounds. thanks for all the info. Hope i do well and can complete a three day fast...eventually i'd like to go six days and work myself up...thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing Faralee. I wish you the best with it.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  8. can you still chew gum? and what about putting on sunscreen moisturiser ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No to both. Just water. :)
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  9. IT IS REALLY INSPIRING . THANKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! You're very welcome. <3
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  10. Hi. I have a question. Could I fast from say 10pm to 10pm, and eat before and straight after. That way I wouldn't go to bed hungry. Would that work? Thanks, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Jason,
      I would never advise to eat 4 hours before bed on any day:
      http://claudiasutton.blogspot.com/2013/01/no-more-insomnia-how-to-get-good-nights.html

      So a better option would be 6pm to 6pm. :)
      Hope that helps.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  11. Hi Claudia

    I often distill water with ginger, whats your thoughts of doing a 24hr water fasting with ginger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Ben!
      Oh wow! I've never heard of that. Just water is preferred, because then the body is able to switch modes when it doesn't have anything to process. The body won't use up all of its stored sugar though on a 24-hour fast (that happens after day 3), so if you think that there's not much ginger left in the water then go for it, but ideally only water is always best. :)
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  12. Hi claudia ,i have question ,what are raw foods.? And does the water have to be warm every time you drink it while fasting ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! :D
      Raw food is anything that you get from nature that isn't cooked or processed. An apple and lettuce is considered raw food. Dried food like fruit, nuts/seeds, or kale chips are concerned raw as well. When I say that I eat raw I mean vegan as well, so no raw meat or raw milk/cheese.

      Nope! The water can be cold or room temperature as well. I just like to mix it up for variety based on the seasons.
      Hope that helps,
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  13. How to stop your self from breaking ive tried this like 5 times but iam after all 12 but dont get me wrong ive been ALLOWED to do this since it will be verly good for mently ( deppresion) and physiclly (weight problems)
    Thx your post helped me a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Hadiya,
      I simply find it within myself to do so. I also stay in bed and like to read, watch films, or meditate. Perhaps a daily raw food cleanse would be a place to start, then juice fasting, and then try the water fast again.
      Best,
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  14. You have inspired me to start water dieting again. I also drink green tea when water dieting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Monica! :D Stick with herbal teas (teasans) though, because any caffeine, including green tea, will sap the adrenals and weaken them over time. Lemon, mint, ginger, and chamomile are all wonderful options.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  15. Hi, I have been trying this water-only fast once every fortnight since last June. I have light dinner on day 1 around 7 PM. Day 2 at 5 AM I have a glass of milk and that's when I start the fast. I become very drowsy after 7 PM on day 2 and I retire to bed early. A couple of times I have had to break my fast early morning (that is before 5 AM) on day 3 due to severe nausea or hypoglycemia. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Deepa,
      It sounds like you're doing wonderfully. What I might recommend, if you're ready for it, is replacing the glass of milk with raw fruits and vegetables or homemade green juices.

      Milk tends to give a lot of adults issues. Here's an article about that:
      http://claudiasutton.blogspot.com/2012/08/why-dairy-is-bad-for-you.html

      Also, water fasting is very cleansing, which can be aggressive. The body can go through a healing crisis. This is why you're getting tired: It's because your body is trying to shutdown, go to sleep, and heal. This is fine. I sleep a lot too when I'm fasting. We heal quickly when we rest.

      Here's a video that explains the healing crisis:
      https://youtu.be/8hduU6vQbts

      So, if you're not comfortable with the healing crisis, then go a bit slower. Instead of water fasting, perhaps a raw-food cleanse for a week or month would be easier for now, then work back up to a water fast. Fruits and veggies are great for the middle chakras, then when ready, move back up to the higher ones with fasting.

      Here's one last article about raw-food cleansing:
      http://claudiasutton.blogspot.com/2015/07/everything-you-need-to-know-about-foods.html

      Keep going! You are doing beautifully. Go slowly, at your own pace, and listen to your body. You know you best.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Claudia!

      Delete
    3. You are most welcome Deepa. <3
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  16. Can an effective cleanse be done without further damage to a diseased kidney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have kidney issues then I recommend starting to cleanse right away until it goes away. Even if you didn't want to do water fasting, you could start with a raw-food cleanse. Fruits mainly, and herbs. I too have been trying to get my kidneys well, and I've been juicing fresh organic red beets, dandelion greens, and parsley for meals. It's not going to taste great, but it's strong medicine.

      Here's more herbs that help kidneys as well:
      Cordyceps
      Cornsilk
      Couch Grass Root
      Goldenrod Leaf
      Horsetail
      Juniper Berry
      Stinging Nettle Leaf

      Also, here's a video about helping the kidneys:
      https://youtu.be/VHBgge5h4Hk?t=59m12s

      Best,
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  17. What is wrong with some people, the person clearly stated water fast, which mean only water can be consume for this particular fast.No food , just water. Sorry to come so brush,however i do this myself already for 2 months. Trying different ways. For instance if someone have a headaches try to do enema before fast,in the evening or early in the morning. Also, it is important to walk a bit and not just laying around all day. Just 30 min of walk can be very good, few times a day. I however have lots of energy during fast day so i walk around 4-5 miles trough the whole day. Good luck to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. It's okay. :) Yeah, peaceful walks are nice. I like to go outside and lay in the grass too.
      ~Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle