Wednesday, March 20

5 Steps to Cleaning a Room

It's the first day of spring up in the northern hemisphere, and we all know what that means: Cleaning! Oh yes! Tidying up one's environment is always an exhilarating experience for both the mind and body. It's the perfect way to celebrate the season synonymous with freshness, renewal, and purification. So shall we begin?


Here are my five steps to cleaning a room:

1. Let there be light and fresh air. Start by opening up all of the windows in the room to get the stale toxic air out. Most carpets, paint, and furniture (if they're not eco-friendly, organic, natural, or non-toxic products) emit toxins because of the chemicals they're made from. So inside air is always not the greatest, especially during the cold months when no fresh air is let into the home. Opening up the windows will not only let new clean air cycle in, but it will also help breathing conditions if dirt and dust are stirred up while cleaning.

2. Let go of the clutter. Everything should have a place in the room. Surfaces like tables and chairs should be free of stuff so that they can be used. Sometimes it's not always easy to part with things, but it's always for the best. If there's doubt, put the object in a box and store it away for a few months. If you don't need to retrieve it from the box within a set time, then it's time to give it away. Don't throw things away either. That's extremely wasteful and harmful to the environment. There's always a reason to give and always someone in need. Sell it online, have a yard sale, or donate it to charity. In the future be conscious of the things that are brought into the room or purchased. Being happy with less will truly set a person free.

3. Dry dust first. I'm particular about the way that I clean, and don't like streaks one bit. To achieve the perfect surface, use a rag (I recycle mine out of old clothing), and dry dust the dirty area first. Do the tallest things first because some dust will fall as one works their way down. That way we don't waste a lot of time. I find that most surfaces can be cleaned this way and don't need addiction washing. It will keep the surface streak free, save money on cleaning supplies, prevent unnecessary wear, and save time that we would have otherwise had to have spent buffing away wet marks.

4. Wet Washing. If there's a surface or object that isn't coming clean with dry dusting, then it's time for wet washing. I find that walls or mirrors sometimes need a little more attention. So with a natural cleaner, I like to use a mixture of water and vinegar, lightly mist the area and use the arms to buff the spots away. Then with a dry rag go over the area until there are no streaks. This will take time, so put on some awesome music and have fun with it. It's great for the upper body as well. I like to switch arms to give both of them an adequate workout, and just like the dry dusting, always work top to bottom.

5. Finish of with vacuuming and fabric freshening. Vacuuming is key and it will get all of the remaining dust that might have fallen or accumulated. Don't forget to get underneath furniture, computers, in closets, on shelves, decor, and lastly, the floor. Like always, work highest to lowest as to not have to repeat any needless work. Then after the entire room is clean, finish off with a lovely natural misting spray. I like using a mixture of essential oils and water to spray soft surfaces to freshen and give them a light pleasant aroma. Also, consider buying a house plant to help clean up the air as well. They do an excellent job of providing fresh oxygen for indoor areas, and they last longer than cut flowers as well.

I find that it's always best to focus one's attention on one room or one task at a time. Have fun with it, and marvel in the beautiful space that you've created when you're finished. It always feels so good, and is truly rewarding after the job is done.

Cheers and happy cleaning.
~Claudia

14 comments:

  1. I like the way this method sounds, especially as I don't like to throw things away, and I would like to get organized so that when it's time to move I won't have all this clutter with me. Plus I agree that fresh light and air make a huge difference :)

    Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ninja Drew! It's so good to hear from you. :D Moving huh! That's exciting. Are you planning that soon?

      Thank you, I'm glad it was helpful. Indeed, hurray for light and fresh air!
      <3 Claudia

      Delete
    2. I've been wanting to comment more but stuff happens, especially when you're involved in a lot of things, lol. I'm wanting to move, but it's not possible right now. I'm preparing so that when I'm able to move I won't be tied down with clutter.

      Yes, hurray for light and fresh air! But the weather has been cloudy and cold at the moment so I'm not exactly in the mood to open any windows, lol. I know it will warm up soon though :)

      Delete
    3. Oh awesome! Definitely. Focus on the clutter for sure. That can be the first step towards a new home. :) You and the kiddies can have a yard sale on weekend.

      Yeah, that warm weather will be there very soon. :D
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    4. Yay for warm weather! It never fails though, in the Fall I can't wait for it to get cool enough to wear my bomber jacket, and in the Spring I can't wait for it to get warm enough to wear shorts, lol. It's a never ending cycle :/

      Delete
    5. Heehee! Oh yes! I remember that. It's always something to look forward to. That's awesome. Have you ever worn shorts with the jacket? XD
      ~Claudia

      Delete
    6. I don't believe I have with my current jacket, although I have worn wind breakers with shorts before. When I was in High School I did that all the time, lol. The only difference I can think of is that the bomber jacket is heavier than the wind breaker and for a lighter weight Spring wardrobe it wouldn't work.

      But speaking of being minimal and decluttering, I can honestly say that clothing will never be something I'll have to worry about having too much of, because I hate going out and buying it. It drove my ex crazy, lol. Unless I actually need to get something, I tend to avoid going to any clothing areas/stores. I make due with what I have :)

      Delete
    7. Ah! I see. :) How long have you had your current jacket for? That's super cool that you have signature looks that you stick to. I've always found that to be cool. Kinda like a movie/game character only has a hand full of costumes.

      Yeah, I remember you mentioning that it was your papers that were bothering you. How's that going?

      ~Claudia

      Delete
    8. Hmm, I've never thought of it like a signature look. I like the sound of that :) I've had my current jacket since about March of 2009. I don't know if you've heard of them, but I want to get (what I can best describe as) a "hoodie-vest." It's essentially a vest with a hood like a hoodie. One of my friends on campus wears one and I think it looks cool, especially as it looks like a formal vest.

      But as far as the papers go, I'm not going to push anything at the moment. Yes they still bother me, especially with my ex moving a few hours away, but soon my kids will be able to decide who they want to live with. So with that in mind I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing :)

      Delete
    9. Oh yes! The Andrew Bomber Jacket. :D Rock it! Oh yeah, I've seen those hoodie-vests. Awesome, that would look nice. I always love vests. <3

      I see. Well, there are always other things to start with then. :) Wow, that's definitely a big deal. That's very far. I'm sure equal time is best. :)

      ~Claudia

      Delete
    10. Yeah, right now I'm concentrating on finishing my Associates at the community college I'm attending, and I only have one more semester to go after this one. So I'm excited about that :) I don't know what I'll be doing after that, so unless something peaks my interest at a 4 year college/university I'm planning on getting a full time job after I graduate and we'll see what happens after that.

      As far as my kiddos/distance go, I know everything will work out in the end, even if I have to go through some hardships to reach that end. Part of life is dealing with hardships and I don't expect to be exempt from that.

      And yes, I will continue to rock the bomber jacket. So long as the weather is cool enough I'll be wearing it. :D

      Delete
    11. Oh wonderful! That's so awesome that you're close.

      That's a good attitude to have. You're a strong man, and I'm sure you'll face them head on with confidence. Especially when wearing an awesome bomber jacket. The world is yours!

      <3 Claudia

      Delete
    12. Yes, watch out world! You'd better respect the bomber jacket, lol :)

      Delete
    13. Heehee! Oh my! XD
      ~Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle