Tuesday, February 12

The Benefits of Glass Cookware

They've finally arrived! My new set of Corning Visions glass cookware is a beautiful sight to behold, and they make me so happy. My parents knew how much I wanted them, and sent me a surprise gift. 

Amber glass cookware that includes two skillets, two saucepans, a stewpot, and covers.

Health is essential, and I'm aware that metal and plastic are not the best options for packaging, preparing, storing, or eating food with. Nonstick Teflon is highly toxic, stainless steel bleeds nickel into foods, aluminum can cause Alzheimer's disease, cast iron can transfer indigestible ferrous iron into the body, copper leaches into foods as well, and all plastics are harmful. So ever since I've learned about this I've made a conscious effort to only use paper, wood, bamboo, or glass.

Now, there are some draw backs to cooking with glass, but despite this I've had a wonderful experience so far. Glass needs to be heated slowly. It has to be placed on a cold burner and then heated to allow for the glass to expand properly. Also, most chiefs do not recommend glass for high heat. This isn't a problem for an individual that mostly eats raw foods because ideally one shouldn't be frying or over-cooking meals anyway. Cooking denatures proteins, creates carcinogens, and changes the innate chemistry of food. That being said, I only use high heat for boiling water or tea making and have never had a problem with it. It's safe for the stovetop, broiler, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher. So this set gets raving reviews from me.

How about you? Do you use glass as well? Or perhaps are considering the change?

Cheers and happy living.
~Claudia

6 comments:

  1. I would imagine this does not work with gas stove?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hey Dan,
    Yeah. It seems like they can be. I've never used them on a gas stove yet, but I don't think it would be an issue.

    I found this: http://askville.amazon.com/visions-glass-pots-pans-gas-stoves-recievied-pieces-high-flame/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=76139602

    Perhaps that will be helpful.
    <3 Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey where did you buy it from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a gift from my parents. They got them at an auction. :D Ebay and Amazon have them. Perhaps even Craigslist if you're lucky.
      ~Claudia

      Delete
  4. I have one, too, and use it on electric stove, gas stove and griller. it works just fine! :) its also pretty healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! Thank you. :) That's good to know.
      ~Claudia

      Delete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle