Wednesday, January 16

Not All Organic Eggs Are Good?

"No company will continue a practice or product that you the consumer will not buy. It's vitally important that you understand this, because this gives you ultimate power to change the world you live in" - Ethos

Recently I was educated about the egg industry, and it made me a sad girl. I can't even believe what I learned, and it made me realize that I can no longer hide behind an organic food label.

So what is it that I learned? Well, some large organic labels have factory farm conditions. It doesn't matter how the chickens are treated as long as the end product, the egg, is organic. Sure there's no antibiotics, and they're fed all-natural feed, but what I didn't know is that the specifications of how much time the birds spend outdoors is not enforced, they still get debeaked, detoed, and all of the male one-day-old chicks are ground up alive because they cannot be used for egg production.

I cried. Again, I'll repeat that, all the beautiful baby boys go down a conveyor belt and into a GRINDER ALIVE. They're thrown out like garbage. Now, I understand that death is natural, and part of life, but this is not one of those cases. This is cruelty, and disgusting disrespect for a living being.

What gets to me the most is that I feel like I was part of the problem because I bought these eggs not knowing about the situation. Well, now that I'm wiser but sadder, I will do my part and either go completely without, or buy eggs from a local organic farm at the market that's respectable and responsible. Which is something that I've always thought the organic label guarantied. 

I truly with all of my being believe in that quote above and will not be a part of the problem. Apparently it's not that hard to find a local farm that sells good organic eggs. There's a list on Cornucopia.org that makes it really easy by ranking all egg farms.

Find a Farm in Your Area:

Or one can always use an egg substitute for vegan baking:
1 egg = 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of hot water.  
Let mixture sit for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until it gets gooey like an egg
or
1 egg = 1/3 cup applesauce

Cheers, and let's all do our part to make this world we live in a better place.
~Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle