Wednesday, October 3

Back From Michigan

Oh wow! It's good to be back, but I miss my family so much already. Time flies when you're having fun and I always enjoy my stay in Michigan. It's like a time capsule for me. Not too much changes over the years and I like it that way because it's a good change of pace from the hustle and bustle of California.

I got in late Wednesday night and that gave me the opportunity to get some girl time in with my sister Carin. We went out to eat, and caught up before heading home. Carla arrived from Colorado a few days after, and it was a full nest once more. I'm sure my parents were just ecstatic, but I do find it to be humorous that it only takes about three days for my mother to treat me like I'm ten again. Perhaps that will never change, and I submit in a respectful way but laugh about it later.

Homemade carrot, peach, celery, cucumber juice. 

I juiced for the first time too! I was so excited about that. I always use my blender, but this time around Carin spoiled me with her juicer. Sadly, I used up all of my organic farmer's market produce for one breakfast. I was surprised by how much that thing gobbled up, but I still want one of my own someday. So I was out all of the food that I brought with me, except that wasn't a big deal because Mom had a wonderful little garden and fresh wild dandelions waiting for me at their home.

Fresh wild dandelions full of awesome.

The longer the root the better the plant.

It's a rare treat that I can eat wild plants fresh and straight from the ground in a place that I know is safe. I was so excited about that because wild plants are more nutritious than ones that are coddled on a farm. Their roots grow very deep, and just think about how many plants were competing for that same place in the sun. So besides the fresh wild dandelions, I had carrot greens, lavender (which I also used a bug repellent), tomatoes, and cucumbers. It was awesome, and I'm feeling much better than when I came.

Flint Farmer's Market.

Pretty autumnal gourds at the market.

We also went the Flint Farmer's Market, which is suppose to be one of the best in the United States, but I was a bit disappointed by it. Why? Just because there was only one organic stand there. Only one! So out of all of that beautiful produce, only one small stand was organic. I was talking to those farmers and they told me that there just isn't an interest in it, and I was completely shocked. It does make me extremely grateful that I live here in California, because it's so easy to find proper food.

Lastly, I can't forget the nature walks and parties that we all enjoyed. My father's side of the family had a large get-together and it was nice to catch up with everyone. My sisters even each threw parties of their own, so I was a busy girl and stayed up way past my bedtime. A rare treat indeed, but I was completely exhausted. That, and I would eat well for lunch, but then would have a million cookies for dessert. Oh well. I made up for it with all of the walking I did. I went out alone in our family's woods later and just meandered through all of the paths. I absolutely love it out there. There's so much life, and the soil is so rich that it's black. I even walked barefoot for a bit because I had forgotten how it felt to have the cool earth beneath my feet.

Found this little guy on the road.

My family and I also ventured out to the Elba Equestrian Complex, which was absolutely fantastic. It's a quiet place for riders to take their horses and just enjoy the wilderness. We didn't ride, but my sister did bring her dog and it was fun to see him enjoy himself. A little too much at times, because he ended up getting wet at the end because the river just looked too enticing.

So as always, good things must come to an end. I hope to return to Michigan again soon, although it typically takes me two years or so to get around to it. Perhaps that will improve in the future.

♡ Claudia

8 comments:

  1. wow sounds like you had a great time! Glad you enjoyed yourself! Glad you made it back safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you hun. Yes, good fun indeed. <3
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all certainly sounds amazing!
    Ooh! I hope you helped that beautiful grasshopper off the road! I've seen some very large and colorful ones here in the desert. They're so fun to pick up and coax them to jump, so you can see their striking red wings.
    I miss the cool moist soil, too. Oh! I'm glad you got to eat some dandelions! They looked tasty! :D

    Thanks for sharing Claudia. I hope you get to go back sooner than is typical.

    <3
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was good fun. Thank you hun.
    The grasshopper seemed safe. :) I'm sure it's doing all right. Yes, they're pretty.

    Dandelions are a very bitter green. I typically blend them with a little fruit to help, but I made myself eat them plain. XD

    Yes, I hope so too. It was way too long.
    <3 Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are most welcome, love. :3
    Ah, good! I hope the hopper is well.
    I found a beautiful praying mantis on the underside of a tire of a parked car the other day. Worst place to be, Ms. Mantis! She was a jumpy one, too! It was hard to keep her still as I carried her. She had a very interesting shape that I haven't seen before in a mantis... Perhaps she was laden with eggs...? I finally got her into a tree... I hope that's where she belongs! She blended right in though, so hopefully she's safe. They're some of my favorite insects. Such keen eyesight, and they're so fast and precise.

    Bitter, ya? How do they compare to spinach? Much more bitter, or less? I want to try some! :D

    I wish I could visit home right now. They're finally seeing some crazy tropical weather (extra-tropical storm Sandy), and as things would figure, it didn't arrive until after I moved. :P
    I love "inclement" weather. ^__^

    <3
    Teh Druid

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Oh really? It's been so long since I've seen one of those. Interesting about the shape, I'm not too familiar with them myself. Perhaps she was.

    Haha! Go try one. I just got some fresh ones today at the farmer's market. Spinach is a soft buttery green. Not bitter at all in comparison.

    Oh? Do you have family out there that's being affected by the storm?

    <3 Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. I should load my Nature photos on my Photobucket, so you can see these nifty finds. :3
    If she was eggs, I hope she found a good spot to lay them!

    I shall absolutely try dandelions if/when I can find some. :D

    Yeah, my immediate family is all in Pennsylvania, but I have others in places the storm didn't affect much, like North Carolina an Georgia. Although, my family in PA said that the storm wasn't anything serious for them, although New York and New Jersey got hit pretty hard. West Virginia got lots of snow. It looked so pretty! I wish I could have been there for it. Have I mentioned I adore "active" weather...? ;D
    They're getting another large Northern Atlantic system this week, too. I miss snow.

    <3
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should. :3

    Yeah, if you know anyone that doesn't spray their yard then that's a free source of food.

    Ah, okay then. I'm glad that they're alright.
    Yes indeed! I love it too. As long as my house isn't in it. It might sound like madness, but I have fond memories of storms too.

    <3 Claudia

    ReplyDelete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle