Wednesday, August 1

Eye Health and Perfect Vision: Care for them Naturally

Don't do what I'm doing right now, which is staring at this computer screen. Post completed! Done! But then I wouldn't have a blog anymore, and that would make me a sad girl. So enough of that, but yes, I kinda wasn't joking about the computer screen part.

Just like everything else in the body, the eyes are affected by our overall health and lifestyle choices. Yes, eyesight can be improved, but the eye doctors won't say that because they want patients back in the chair every year. Healthy people don't need doctors as often, if ever, and unfortunately making a profit is a big deal to the medical industry just like any other. The ideal patient is the one that keeps coming back.

Also, ever notice how the individuals that spend the most time outdoors often don't need glasses? But the people that work in offices, studios, or laboratories do? Almost everyone that spends the majority of their day indoors has a prescription. Interesting indeed.

Healthy vision has also been connected to choosing an ideal mate. In a recent dating study conduced by scientists, people without glasses were often chosen in a speed-dating scenario over their glasses-wearing counterparts. We're hardwired to want this, because we want a healthy partner. Beauty and health are one in the same. Sure glasses are cute and fashionable, but would one ever choose them over perfect vision?


What causes poor vision

- Staring at screens. This is taxing on the eyes because of the brightness of the monitors and the time spent literally staring at them. We tend not to blink as much when engrossed in something entertaining or even stressful. So this is problematic because it can put a lot of strain on the eyes.

- Only focusing on objects closeup. Our eyes are ideal for looking at things at long distances. This is just natural, and whether nature intended us to be prey or predators, our eyesight was crucial for survival. We're so detached from nature, rarely going outside, staring at paperwork, books, hobbies that require precision, and only focusing our eyes on objects close to us, therefore adapting to the situation at hand. Our long-distance eyesight becomes blurry, and we become nearsighted.    

- Lack of exercise. Just like any muscle, the eyes can become weakened by stagnation. This does not allow for proper oxygen to flow to the eyes, let alone the entire body. Insufficient movement of the body as a whole is the cause of a lot of issues. It truly is as simple as that.

- Wearing glasses/contacts too often. Now this info came straight from the eye doctor personally. Wearing glasses all day long coddles the eyes and makes them stay the same. If the prescription is worn all day long, no improvement can be made from strengthening them naturally. 

- Liver and gallbladder problems. If the eyes are cloudy or yellowed this could be caused by a poor diet, specifically too much bad fats from animal products. The liver is over burdened and is having issues releasing toxins properly. This is stress related as well. 

- Lack of sun. This can cause the eyes to become weak. Developing children are extremely susceptible to this because the lack of sun can cause the lens and retina to grow incorrectly causing nearsightedness. It's not necessarily about sunlight directed at the eyes specifically (so no sun gazing), but it's more about the overall wellness of the body and getting the necessary amount of sunlight to function properly. We're a product of our environment, and people that live in cloudy or foggy locations usually have more problems with this as well. It's fascinating, but sad, that this can be so problematic.

So now that we know that eyesight is related to our lifestyle, here are some things to help improve vision. Yes, it can happen!


Positive changes that can help vision

- Limit screen time. Okay, I'm going to be the first to admit that I need major improvement in this area. As a digital artist, blogger, and YouTuber I spend way too much time in front of the computer. So we can work on this together. Recently, I've been cracking down on only spending 30 minutes at a time in front of any screen (even films at home, take a bathroom break or something). Get up, walk around, stretch, get some water, tend to some random chores, etc. Just anything to take a break from sitting in front of a screen. 

- Focus on objects in the distance. Try to spend just as much time looking at distant things, without glasses or contacts. I've noticed that faraway objects appear clearer the more I do this, almost like my eyes are trying to adjust. This specifically happens outside when I'm out on walks.

- Start incorporating exercise into daily life. Get outside and walk, run, stretch, and play. The more oxygen we get via exercise the happier our muscles will be, eyes included.

- Only wear glasses when they're absolutely necessary. For me this is driving and watching movies. So the glasses/contacts stay in their case for most, if not all, of the day.

- Water fast. This did wonders for me, and I wasn't even expecting any vision results. I've heard that it could happen, but I wasn't sure if it would or if one fast was enough to help. I walked past the television on one of my fast days and noticed that I could read the captions on the screen. It wasn't crystal clear, but the fact that I could read it without glasses on had me in awe. So personally, I have seen results and this makes me want to try even harder. A lot of raw foodists have improved their vision and don't need glasses anymore because of the smart choices that they make in their daily lives. Water fasting is one of them, and it restores balance to one's life in so many ways. I highly recommend it.

- Get more sun. Sunlight improves our eyesight and so much more. We were meant to be outside under the sun. Bright outdoor light helps improve eye health by correcting the distances between the lens and the retina. So let there be light, and get outside!

That pretty much covers it, and just remember that everything is connected. 
Our vision is affected by our lifestyle choices, so I'm going outside now.

♡ Claudia

5 comments:

  1. This makes me glad I spent so much time outside as a kid, and that I like being outside so much.
    I had heard that carrots are good for vision, and they've always been my favorite veggie, so I've always eaten lots of them.

    I always make sure to look at things around the room, even if I'm in working on my Cintiq, because I tend to sit with my eyes about a foot away from the surface when I draw; usually close enough to recognize individual pixels. Heh.

    I know I don't quite have 20/20 vision (they're close), but my eyes have never given up on me, and I've never given up on them, so I've never had glasses. My eyes are my favorite feature. ^__^

    Thank you for all the info and advice, Claudia.
    It's always wonderful to read.

    <3
    Your druid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's good to hear, and that's great that your eyes are still in good shape. Yeah, me too. I spent a lot of time outdoors when I was a child, but the computer has taken a tole on me over time.

    Heehee, yeah, now I can just see you sitting there with your Cintiq. XD Back away from the monitor!

    Thank you so much,
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty careful, so no worries. I make sure not to keep my eyes to close and I move around to break up the monotony of sitting the same way.

    Hopefully you can spend more time outside soon. That'd be great for you.

    <3
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm near-sighted, and I have been since the 7th grade. It would be nice to be able to throw my glasses away, so I'll try to implement some of these changes.

    Obviously with college starting in less than two weeks some of these things will be harder than others, but I still plan on trying. One thing I know I can do is spend more time outdoors and only wearing my glasses when I need to :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron: That's awesome! It sounds like I need to take a lesson from you then. Yes, I spent a little time outside today. :) Hurray! It was nice.

    Andrew: Me too dear. :( Yeah, well we'll just do our best right.

    ReplyDelete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle