Wednesday, July 25

Why I'm a Minimalist


"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

It all began when I was packing to go away to university and I realized that I couldn't take all of my belongings with me to California. I was leaving Michigan, and my family, to go study art in San Francisco. I was so excited! It was a new chapter in life and I was full of hopes, dreams, and ambitions. It was a fresh start.

When I started the obligatory task of packing my stuff I realized how much of a burden it was. I could only take two suitcases and a carry-on with me because that's all the airport would allow. Quite frankly, I didn't want to take much more. So I picked only the essentials and left the rest behind. This was a great lesson for me because it made me realize that I didn't need most of it.

From then on, life was different. I was lighter and free. My stuff didn't weigh me down. When I arrived in San Francisco for the very first time, my cousin picked me up and asked where all my stuff was. I told them that this was all I had, and it felt really good. Unpacking in my dorm was even more therapeutic. It was my very own wonderful, clean space free of clutter and burden. 

My family did end up mailing me a package with more stuff, but it made realize that I wasn't into most of it anymore. This changed the way that I spent money in the future, and I gave or sold the stuff that I didn't need. That in itself felt really great. To see a person's face light up when you surprise them with something was somewhat addictive. I love giving to others. Who doesn't?

Minimalism is just a part of who I am now. I continue to grow and learn because of it and it teaches me to truely value quality over quantity. It helps keep things in perspective, and lets one's character shine through because the objects one chooses to value and keep says a lot about the individual.

Embracing modern minimalism in interior design is wonderful as well. We are a reflection of our environment, so that beauty transcends and affects our mood. Simple design is so elegant and makes one feel calm and at peace. I love waking up very early and just walking through my home. The world is quiet, the house is clean, and Claudia is a happy girl. The day is off to a great start. Clutter and dust is a reminder that we don't have time for ourselves. Our busy schedules dedicated to others are more important than maintaining the home, this in turn can affect one's mental clarity because we spend so much time in our space. So devote time and effort into your personal environment, because it affects the mind on a subconscious level. Lastly, treasure each and everything you have, and ask yourself: Do I really need this?

Cheers and happy living.
~Claudia

3 comments:

  1. You and me both, Claudia.

    I've had very similar experiences that have had me come to the same conclusions, and the same wonderful feeling of being "lighter".

    When I move to a place with more room, that will give me opportunity to again look at what I have, and determine what I actually need. I have very few things of mine with me, the rest being in storage, but I have a feeling the next time will be easier, after going without it all for so long now.

    My thanks, as always, Claudia.

    <3
    Druid Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, love the photo! Good comp and subjects.

    I like to balance things, too. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh really? Small world. :)
    Of course dear, anytime.

    And thank you about the photography. I love those river rocks. <3 I enjoy their colors and it's a great way to bring a little nature indoors.

    <3 Claudia

    ReplyDelete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle