Monday, May 14

I Love Dark Shadows

This was probably the number one film that I wanted to see this summer. I was so excited about it, because it looked like it was going to be good fun. I saw it on the first day and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. I even loved it more than The Avengers.

First off, I wanted to say that this film did not seem like a Tim Burton film. At least in the usual sense, which was a good thing because it seems more like something he made earlier in his career. Elfman didn't use his typical over-the-top score this time around, which was refreshing because the overall selection of music was amazing. It was well executed and subtle when necessary. I appreciated that.

The movie also reminded me a bit of Beetlejuice, how the whole family was living in a huge weird house, with the main character being the zany one that the story is focusing around. So for the most part the movie takes place there and I liked that.

I absolutely adored the story because it was darker than I expected and I liked the romance as well. The makeup, hair, costumes, sets, characters, and crazy script full of campy dark dialogue that keep me laughing throughout the experience was fantastic. Then there was the visual art which was better than I could have ever imagined. I had quite a few "wow" moments because of the way that the artists used light and color. It's so beautifully executed! Just the type of thing that inspires me to paint.

So go see Dark Shadows. It's a great film to take the parents to as well. I kept thinking about how much my parents would love a film like this because of the fact that it's set in 1972. They would sure get a kick out of all of the brilliant art direction, wardrobe, and music.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet. Here's a portrait I did of Barnabas.



Happy movie watching!
~Claudia

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a Tim Burton fan at all but I really want to see this film. It looks really well done, has some fantastic actors in it and of course sarcasm galore. A must for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes! Sarcasm and campy dramatic acting for the win. It was loads of fun, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle