Monday, April 16

Barnabas Collins of Collinwood Manor


My Thoughts
When I first saw this contest notification in my inbox, I was ecstatic because now I had an excuse to paint Johnny Depp. Johnny looks absolutely amazing as Barnabas, and the hair, makeup, and costume design is just brilliant. Like all Tim Burton films, I’ll be at the theater bright and early on the first day because I’m excited to see it.

Not only that, but the fact that Tim Burton’s involved with the judging made me so incredibly happy. It would be quite the honor for him to view my work because I have admired him since I was very young. For me it’s a way to give back to a favorite creator and visionary that has inspired me throughout my life.

Inspiration
After I finished thoroughly reading over all the fine print, I already knew the direction I wanted to take. I was going to create the portrait as if I was thee portrait painter myself. That meant oil on canvas/panel, or at least the simulation of such. So I envisioned myself sitting down with Barnabas at his Manor as his own privately commissioned painter.

Recently I had the privilege of visiting The Haunted Mansion at Disney World, so I had the wonderfully eerie Victorian portraits still on the brain. I decided that it would be fitting to pay homage to young Master Gracey himself and pose Johnny in a similar way. Proud and tall, sitting with his left hand on his chest, but still a bit of a smug grumpy pants. The way that Johnny frowns is amusing; therefore I knew that part of his character had to be captured. I also drew inspiration from the Dutch Golden Age of painting, Rembrandt being my main influence. His beautiful self portrait “Portrait of Rembrandt with Gorget” had a similar color palette (depending on the photograph) as the film. So my painting reflected that and consisted of an array of pale desaturated greens and golds, complemented by vivid pops of red and deep navy blue. Like Rembrandt, I also wanted to render an affective chiaroscuro, not only because it's visual appealing but it's symbolic of Barnabas’ struggle with light and dark.

Technique
Painted in Photoshop with a Wacom in 18 hours over a 3 day period; all on one layer to help simulate real oil painting. I used the Standard Portrait Template (3125 x 2500), Fine Art brushes from my collection to create the texture and look of real paint, along with the grid method pioneered by Renaissances Masters to help keep proportions accurate.

Dark Shadows: "Barnabas Collins of Collinwood Manor" - Painting Steps
Level: Advanced



Content, editing, and compositing by Claudia Sutton.
Music composed by Alvin Muolic.

19 comments:

  1. Aww! Thank you Corey. Even if I get picked for the final seven, I'll be happy because then I know Tim at least saw it. Pretty neat. :)

    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty neat indeed. Tim Burton will enjoy your digital painting with a big smile on his face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Claudia! I hope you win and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corey: Aww! That sounds wonderful. <3

    Char: Thanks so much. It sure would be awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia really really love this picture. Im loving the traditional oil paint feel and use of colors!!!

    ? do you mind critiquing this unfinished picture of christina Aguilera if you dont mind? its for my art class we had to do a protrait of a musician, and I choose her haha. I defenintly wanted to email but again I didnt appear as annoying little fan hehe!! lol

    heres the link:
    http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/s3v3nt3En/2012-05-02193315.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much!

    Wow, I actually don't have any critique. Well done. It's coming out beautifully. You have a nice style. I must ask though, what made you choose her in particularly for the class?

    Cheers,
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um i really don't my grandma was watching The Voice yesterday so I choose to do her and I think she attractive, she my Ex-wife lol.

    And thank you! I been working really hard really wanna do animation, illustration, and concept art as well.

    Here it is with more details:
    http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/s3v3nt3En/2012-05-02213905.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh okay. Heehee. :P

    Wonderful! That's good to hear. Don't pull a Claudia and work too hard. Balance my dear.
    It's coming out great. Push the darks with the lashes though, that will really draw attention back to the eyes. :) Well Done!
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha I will definitly. I honestly don't like a lot of the pictures i draw. I'm gradually beginning to accept and I think that my biggest set back is i dont accept, but I think I've pulling a Claudia for a while now haha. I've been lacking balance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An artist will never been happy with their skills, but we must learn how to be content with what we currently have. That's something that will come over time. It did for me too.

    Yes, all jokes aside, one has to be balanced. It is so important. Take breaks, go on walks, get some sun, go to bed early, etc. All the little things add up and will help. :)

    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it very hard to find balance like for, Im always catching the bus, and its extremely hard for to get sleep when i wake up at 5am to get to work and school, I really only get maybe 5 hours of sleep(insomnia takes that 6th hour from me) which is why i wanted to fast really bad because i really wanted to heal my body. It's really difficult to operate when your body is tired.

    another question since you went to the academy of art university did you have to take classes like anthropology and math etc??

    I also value the advice you get. I really do appreciate everything you tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes it is. Do you drink caffeine? No caffeine after noon, because it takes 10hrs to leave the body. Also, dimming the lights at night to simulate night. Light keeps you up, your brain produces chemicals.

    Nope, not a requirement for my degree. Maybe others at AAU do. I could have taken them, but didn't. :P I liked English and History classes better.

    Of course! Thank you for saying so.
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have adhd so im extremly hyper haha so when i swam competitively. I was mellow, and if you know anything about adhd its hard to focus. which is pain. Whats your opinion on Adhd?

    So when you went AAU, you focused on your core classes that would get you your degree faster? because I'm going to CSN( College of Southern Nevada) and I'm taking Drawing and Anthropolgy and Design and Color. I dont want to say wasting, but classes like anthropology etc are interesting because I'm learning lots of things, but I dont want be in school forever I really just want to classes that would help me get my degree in art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh okay. No, I don't know anything about it.

    I went full time, but I tried not to rush. It took me 5 years to get my BFA. I pretty much enjoyed all of my classes. :) Except for the stress.

    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should so check out my First Digital painting,
    http://s3v3nt3en.deviantart.com/#/d4yzn00
    it'd be awesome if you add me on deviantart too!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's awesome! You did a great job. :D
    Thanks for asking, but I don't really do that. Hope it's cool. Please feel free to always share your work with me though hun.

    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you I really appreciate your awesomeness

    I totally understand were you are coming from! but i will definintly will show you my artwork i just feel bad always bothering you on your blog especially when it kind of topic with your post lol XD

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are never bothering me. ^__^
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle