Whenever I do this though, I notice how sick to my stomach I can feel or my skin starts to lose its glow and even break out. So when the holidays are over I quickly return to my normal habits and start detoxing my body right away to try to repair any damage I might have caused by overdosing on treats.
Here are some tips to help get back on track:
1. Get Rid of the Junk Food - Finish up your treats right away or give them to a friend that might enjoy it. I never throw food away, so my rule is to enjoy the last of it and don't repurchase it again. If it's in the house it will get eaten. So why tempt yourself and go cold turkey.
2. Say "No" to Clearance Items - After the holidays stores have all sorts of sales on leftover goodies. If these sales are too tempting for you, allow some time to pass before going shopping. Or don't go down the clearance aisle. If the holiday is over, so is the snacking.
3. Eat Lots of Plants - It's best to get back on your whole-foods diet as soon as possible. This includes lots of fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Try your best to eat even more within the following week, because they will cleanse your body from the inside out. No need to get any fancy detox products, because plants are a million times better for you. Why waste the money, organic produce is cheaper most of the time, especially from the farmer's market. Also, juicing is a great way to quickly provide the body with the nutrients it craves. I prefer green vegetable/herb based juices because they're amazing for weight lose. Start your morning off right by drinking or eating a sufficient amount of plants for breakfast.
4. Drink Plenty of Water - Drinking water is one of the simplest ways to flush toxins from your system. Especially in the fall and winter when your body needs the most water because the harsh temperatures and high heat from fireplaces or furnaces dehydrate the body. Adding a slice of lemon without the peel to water or tea (green or white teas are my favorite for this) is a great way to detox as well. The acidic juice from the lemon naturally helps with this and can burn fat. Why no peel on the lemon? Because I eat it after I'm done with the drink for a little extra help from the fruit.
5. Epsom Salt Baths - Run a warm bath, add salt as directed on the carton, and soak in it until the water cools. The salt will release impurities from the skin and detoxify the body. Epsom salt also helps to soothe aching bones and muscles, so these baths are great for the cold months that leave the body achy. They're great just before bed to help relax, and gives the body a head start to help heal during the night.
Good luck to you, and here's to good health.