Thursday, September 22

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

"OMG Zelda Mew!" says Kitty.

When the first screenshots of the new The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D came out it made me so happy, but incredibly sad at the same time. Sad because I didn't want to buy a 3DS. I thought that I would never be able to play this amazing remastered version of my most favorite game of all time.

Fortunately, I have the best friends ever and they lent me both the cartridge and the 3DS. I want to give a big shout-out to Alicia and Andre (check out Andre's reviews on GameXplain). It was like Christmas 1998 all over again! Which is a really big deal.


So here are some final thoughts about the game:

Pros

- This game is beautiful and it's everything I imagined when I was young, except this time around it's really on the screen and not just in my head. It's like rediscovering the land of Hyrule all over again. There are so many "wow" moments that it blew my mind.

 - Seeing all of my favorite characters in glorious 3D, along with a higher poly count and nice textures makes me so happy. I spent so much time in first-person mode looking at all of them. Especially Zelda, I always loved her the most. 

- I like how the majority of the interface is now on the bottom touchscreen, which clears the top screen of all the clutter and makes the game more immersive.

- Rotating the physical 3DS to look around with the camera is a fun little gimmick. Again, it's just one more thing they added to make gamers feel more involved.

- The Shiekah Stones are cool. I didn't mind them because I would have never used them to figure out something, but it's interesting to see officially how the puzzles are solved. Sometimes they're a lot different than the way I go about playing. So that's neat to see a different take on it.


Cons

- Okay, so I'm one of those unfortunate people that gets a headache from the 3DS. When I started playing with the 3D cranked, I thought nothing of it, and then night after night I was going to bed with throbbing headaches. I thought it was work or that I wasn't eating enough, and then I finally figured it out. As soon as I stopped playing with the 3D on, the headaches went away. Nintendo even has warnings about this, but what's point if you can't use it? That's the main reason why someone would buy a 3DS! For the 3D! So I had to be very selective about what I watched in 3D. I always turned it on for the cinematic though.

- Other than the 3D headaches, it's a little annoying as well to keep the 3DS constantly at the right angle for the 3D to be viewed correctly. One little movement and you start seeing double. Now if you're in the middle of a boss fight this can be distracting. I don't need two Ganons, one is bad enough.

- I think I might have glitched out a Big Poe. I'm not sure, because I tried looking it up, but I couldn't find anything. It's the one by the rock by the trees in east part of Hyrule Field. I bombed the rock to get into the hole and then the rock never came back, so when I'm on Epona your suppose to trigger it by kicking it, and well they is no rock to kick. I also tried turning into a kid and then back into an adult and the rock was still gone. So alas, I never got my 4th glass bottle from the Poe Hunter. It's a sad day.

- All of the characters/enemies are not modeled constantly. This is typically the case with most games, but it is really apparent that the secondary characters (like the Bean Seller or the Carpenters) didn't have the same polish that the main characters do. I don't know if the system could handle higher quality, but it would be nice to see them all redone with the same level of detail.

- Princess Ruto is censored! Why? The new shirt and butt flap is really not necessary. She was better before.

- Why is Ganon's blood green? I know they changed this detail in the second edition for the 64, but really?

- I miss the chanting in the Fire Temple song. I had the first edition cartridge, so the original song is still in tack. I wasn't getting my hopes up on this though, because I know that it's a sensitive matter.

- Z-targeting, now L-targeting, is a little difficult for me. It felt awkward to target. I'm here zooming all over the place and couldn't lock on to things properly. It seems like it's the finger placement on the button and the D-pad at the same time that gives me the problem.

- WARNING: I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT A POINTLESS ISSUE - Well, not to me at least. They changed two of the spiritual stones. The Kokiri's Emerald and the Zora's Sapphire. They are smooth stones now, not cut like they use to be. The only one they got right was the Goron's Ruby. Why do they have to mess with that?

- WARNING: I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT A POINTLESS ISSUE - Again, not to me. I noticed that the port changed a lot of colors. Now I'm huge on colors, so for me this is a big deal that perhaps others wouldn't even notice or be bothered by. The green rupee is not the same sea green, it's now grass green. Link's Zora tunic is not a turquoise blue, it's now sky blue. Adult Zelda's shirt isn't magenta, it's now purple. Oh the madness! Was it that hard to color pick off of the original textures to get the colors right? There's no need to change them. Cosplayers will forever be confused, "Oh dear, what color do I make my Zora Tunic?" Bah!


The Legend of Zelda will always have a special place in my heart, so if you loved the N64 version of Ocarina of Time as much as I do, this game is a must play. Perhaps you can borrow it from a friend as well if you don't have one like I did.

Happy gaming,
~Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle