Thursday, September 15

How to Eat A Cactus

So like mentioned in my birthday post, Carla sent me a fresh cactus from a Colorado farmer's market. I have never had one before and haven't even seen them at my local market. So this is definitely a special treat. Carla's significant other Robert (I call him The Plant Whisperer because he's just so awesome with them) knows all about preparing cactus and taught Carla how to do it, and then she taught me.

All you have to do is wash the plant. Be very careful with the thorns because they hurt. 
Despite Carla's warnings I still managed to prick myself. 


Next, cut off all of the thorns and trim away the edges. 


That's pretty much it. Dice and serve. The cactus can be eaten raw or cooked over medium heat with a little water, stone-crushed extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of sea salt, red pepper, and garlic. Also, I'm going to juice this tomorrow morning as well. I'm sure it will be delicious. Overall the plant has a very subtle taste and crisp texture. Nothing like anything I've tried before. Thanks Carla for broadening my horizons.

xoxo,
~Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle