Thursday, August 11

Radically Simple

RADICALLY simple is a documentary that I watched recently which deeply impacted me. The film is about author Jim Merkel, and how he lives a sustainable lifestyle through the homestead he built in Vermont.

Here's a clip:

I always thought that I was pretty good when it came to being eco-friendly and try to do my part to make the earth a better place for everyone, but this short film made me think about how much I'm actually consuming as an average American citizen. I was never in denial about it, but I thought that I was doing better than I really am. Take a look at this, here's my results from the footprint calender found on footprintnetwork.org.


 "If everyone lived like you, we would need 4.1 Planet Earths to provide enough resources"

What is your Ecological Footprint?

This is depressing. I thought that my efforts were more beneficial. Then just out of curiosity I took the quiz again, answering with the best possible answers and I still got 3.1 Earths. So I think that it has to do with the fact that I live in the US, because we consume the most resources in the world (followed by Canada). Our lifestyles are not sustainable, period. So what do we do? Sell our homes and move into the forest? Well, sure, but who's really going to do that? It just hurts to know that I am causing so much harm to the planet. All of these modern luxuries might not be worth it. Perhaps, like mentioned in the film, people would find this type of living to be peaceful and fulfilling. Kinda think of it as permanent camping. (Party at my campsite! Woot!) Then we don't need to work our lives away to buy crap we don't need... I'm sure you all think I'm crazy by now.


Read about the film (which can be found of Netflix):

More about The Global Living Project:

Media Moments: Jim Merkel 
Video Clip

Lastly, another fun little clip with Jim:

Happy movie watching!
~Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle