Monday, August 29

Dr. Andrew Weil's Healthy Aging

Yesterday I watched this documentary, Dr. Andrew Weil's Healthy Aging, and I wanted to pass it along to all of you as well because it brought up some good points about health and aging. I for one try to embrace aging as much as I can, it's something natural and beautiful, but sometimes in our youth-obsessed culture it can be overwhelming. Why does it have to be this way? Why do we feel like we have to be young forever? Will people stop loving us? Perhaps the answers to those questions may vary depending on where you're from. Some cultures discard the elderly and others embrace them. I found the bit about the siblings from Okinawa, Japan bickering over who got to care for the elderly parents to be refreshingly humorous. Now that's something that you won't hear about in America very often! 

Also, many people fear aging because it's associated with getting sick or living with disease, but this is not necessarily true. It doesn't have to be like that if one chooses a healthy lifestyle. It's perfectly normal to live a fulfilling long life without disease, only to decline within a year before death. Dr. Weil's talks about this happening to his 93 year mother, and the same thing happened to my mother's mother. My Grandma never got sick, and only started to get ill after Grandpa passed away. It only took a few months for her to pass as well. So overall they lived normal, happy lives.

I agree with Dr. Weil about aging being compared to a fine wine or cheese; it can be viewed as something that gets better over time because there are many positive aspects to it. My favorite Gandhi quote is: "Be the change you want to see in the world." If we embrace who we are as we get older, not dreading every change that happens, then perhaps we wouldn't have these social issues. Aging would be okay. I know I'll be an awesome old lady! Rockin' my wrinkles and enjoying life.

Happy movie watching!
~Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle