Tuesday, July 12

Finished Reading Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire

Only second to The Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire is my favorite Harry Potter film. So I was very excited to read the book for the first time.

It surprised me though. Unlike the first three movies, which followed the novels pretty closely, this story was very different from the film. Probably because of how long it is, being about twice the size of the first three books. All of the secondary stuff that didn't relate to Harry's main story was left out. So many events were changed and combined that I started feeling confused after awhile, because I was forgetting what came from the film and what came from the book.

Goodness! So now I can finally relate to what fans were saying long ago about there being huge changes to the film that they weren't happy with. Not because the film was bad, but just because it was missing so much. Personally, I still like the film best. Just because it was my first experience, and the fact that the visuals are so nice.

One thing that did bug me was how Voldemort was portrayed in the book. He seemed almost whiny; unlike Ralph Fiennes' take of him in the movie, which was so beautifully evil. Humanly evil, was how he described it when being interviewed in the extras. The Voldemort info dump at the end of the book was not necessary either. I much preferred the mysterious film version and didn't feel the explanation was needed. It just went on forever. Who would do that? Tell their nemesis every little detail of their actions. And then... And then... And then... No, just stop.

I can't wait for the last film to come out. I have no idea what's going to happen (please don't tell me) and I can't wait to see it. So throughout the week I'll continue my Harry Potter marathon and finish reading books 5-6, watch the films, and special features. Again, I'm not touching 7 because I want it to be a surprise. I have already ruined a few things just by accident and I was upset. Sadness.

Anyone a Harry Potter fan?
~Claudia

10 comments:

  1. It's been so long since I read the books (I want to reread them before, uh, Friday I guess but I don't think that will happen!), but it was around this episode that the movies started getting. . . .speedy. Like, everything happening so fast that you can't really follow them since they are trying to cram everything in. Well, still good of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could reread one before Friday, which would it be?

    I definitely hear ya about it being fast. It seems like 10 minutes in the film is like a whole chapter in the book.

    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Azkaban? That was the first one that really impressed me as being something more than just your typical kids fare. I liked the first two well enough but they were light and easy, appropriate for his age and the intended audience, I suppose. Then it started getting darker. And I loved that about her that she never toned it down or spoke down to her readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo. Yeah,Azkaban's great. I'm sure you could finish that before Friday. It's smaller compared to the later ones. Will you be going to a midnight showing?

    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actualy no! I work far far away from where I live, and I have to be there four days and home four days, so no Harry Potter for us for a while. And actually we will take Pallas to Winnie the Pooh for her first ever movie experience. To make up for the no-Potta though, I will take Pallas in mere moments to a Chapters store (canadian version of Borders, say) where they are having some sort of Potter-party. I hope it's good, there;s nothing on their website about it, it was just a Facebook post last week . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah okay, neat! That sounded like a lot of fun. I saw the pictures on your blog. :) She's adorable. Which house did the sorting hat put her in? haha. I would have posted on your page, but I didn't see a comment section. XD

    By the way... I never new about Chapters. I learn something new everyday.

    Best,
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just reread the last three books then tomorrow we start our movie marathon then the last film in IMAX 3d on sat I'm so excited. I reread the whole series every time a new book or movie comes out. I've also read several fan fiction version of the last book before it came out.


    AndryW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Andry,

    Oh my! That's a big marathon, and you did it every time. Wow, that sounds fun.

    I'm exhausted right now, because I didn't get much sleep. I was pretty excited about the film. So now I've just crashed. XP I need some warm tea or something.

    Just curious, when you say "we" do you mean you and your friends? :D

    Cheers,
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me and the guy I'm training at work. We listened to the audio books. He had never seen or read a sing book or movie. But now he's hooked. Also it's AndryW not Andry. I'm taking a Facebook sabbatical, and every time I do I catch up on old friends blogs. I've made a few posts here as anonymous just always forget to sign them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh cool. :) Yeah, I thought that the "W" was a last name initial.

    ReplyDelete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle