Tuesday, June 14

Just Take a Walk

"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, 
I found, was really going in."  - John Muir

San Francisco Bay at Sunset

Walking is such a spectacular way to relax and just get away from the burdens of the day. Some of us work too hard, which can build up easily, leaving us feeling tired and rundown. So what can be done about this? Well taking a walk might be just the thing you need.

Here are some of the benefits of a good walk: 

1. Clear the Mind - Whenever I find that I am overwhelmed by my work or art, I grab my coat and head out to the beach for a nice long walk. Stepping out and getting away really helps to take your mind off your problems. It's a refreshing, tranquil experience that gives the brain time to rest. So upon returning to your work, it helps bring new perspective to the problems or questions that you were dealing with.

2. Great Exercise - After sitting in a chair for hours or spending the entire afternoon in front of a computer, one's body will crave movement. Stiffness is a big problem for anyone that works in an office-like setting, and study after study finds that walking is the key to staying fit and healthy. It's something that we take for granted, but rarely do. Something so simple that we forget just how important it is. No gym membership required.

3. Exhilarating - "But I'm too tired!" That is the last thing you'll feel after a good walk. All it takes is just one step out the door. The warm sunlight, fresh air, and soft wind on your skin is exactly what a weary body needs to recuperate. I always feel 10 times more energized after getting up and going outside for a bit.

4. Inspiring - Stuck in rut? Just spend some time in nature. Go people watching, take the family pet out to play, read a good book in the grass, journey to a place that you've never been before, etc. This can be truly enlightening.

5. An Adventure Waiting to Happen - When walking, you never know what you'll find or who you'll meet. Really take the time to slow down and enjoy the experience. Last summer I was dying to throw around a Frisbee, but I had nothing to play with and I didn't feel like spending $10+ on one. So I forgot about it. Then a month later, I found one in the grass when I was out for my walk. A shinny red one. I thought perhaps that it belonged to someone and they would come back for it. So I left it, telling myself that if it was still there when I returned after my 1-2 hour walk that I would keep it. When I came back the sun was down and I found it in the dark with my cellphone light. No had clammed it. If I didn't go on that walk or slow down to just enjoy the scenery, I would have never found that little treasure.


Walking is always worth the time.
~Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle